How do I get funding for my housing idea?

Although our country does not have any dedicated funding streams to help develop housing targeting adults with A/I/DD, there are tools that housing developers use to create opportunities. Your first decision is whether or not you want to use federal or state subsidies, or whether you will develop without government subsidies.

Government subsides: In order to access these subsidies, it will be important to partner with an experienced affordable housing developer who has a good track record as it is a very competitive process in most areas. Additionally, when using government subsidies, there are regulations that must be considered that may limit some freedoms including tenant selection, number of units, and in the case of Section 811, limitations on number of units that can be dedicated to adults with A/I/DD. Low income housing tax credits, project-based vouchers, and housing trust funds are some of the common tools used. The National Low Income Housing Coalition offers a comprehensive Advocates Guide that explains many of these programs and more.

Non-governmental options: You can create or partner with a non-profit and give people the chance to support your life-changing vision through a donation. Additionally, you could seek support of the local or national philanthropic community by applying for grants. Some local libraries or non-profit associations may share access to grant databases. Alternatively, you can create an LLC or other business entity and seek “angel investors” who can lend money towards your goal for a small return on investment- this can come from future property households, such as the case in cohousing communities, or from those who want to support the project, but seek to be paid back in the near future.

Want more specific feedback for your vision? You can also schedule a consultation with Desiree Kameka Galloway, Director of the Autism Housing Network here.


Related FAQs