Public policy

This topic contains 1 reply, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  Desiree Kameka 1 year, 1 month ago.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author

Redcross26
    Participant

Im on the Public policy committee with the DD (Developmental Disabilities) council! 

Is there anything i can do to help? Maybe I can take any issues you guys have to the next meeting next month!

Desiree Kameka
    Keymaster

There are several immediate issues that must be addressed in order to ensure the future of autistic adults and others with I/DD will be full of choices and opportunities:

• Policy must not limit where individuals can live or work by refusing access to their supports in certain settings the state deems not “home and community.”
    • Waitlists for access to essential support services continue to grow, and advocates must urge their state to increase funding in order to meet the growing demand for adult services.
    • States must offer flexible enough waiver options to meet the diverse needs of individuals with I/DD, including by way of consumer-directed or self-determination waivers.
    • Housing lacks affordability. Therefore, advocating for more affordable housing funding is essential to ensure individuals with I/DD can afford homes and are not forced into the “next empty bed” when a crisis arises.
Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.