Is it true waiver recipients can not live in farmsteads?

Home Forums Advocating for Housing Options Is it true waiver recipients can not live in farmsteads?

This topic contains 2 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  Desiree Kameka 4 months, 3 weeks ago.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author

Desiree Kameka
    Keymaster

No. There are farmsteads across the country where individuals use their HCBS waivers. The federal CMS HCBS regulations does not say that CMS prohibits ‘farmsteads’ as a residential choice. As part of a compliance toolkit CMS has published on their website and continually updates, a document was added as “Additional technical guidance on regulatory language regarding settings that isolate” In this document, CMS named farmsteads, gated disability-specific communities, residential schools, and multiple programs co-located (campus settings) as “settings that tend to isolate individuals with I/DD from the broader community” and therefore may need to go through the heightened scrutiny process to ensure residents are not being isolated against their will. It is not ‘farmsteads’ that CMS prohibits, but any setting that isolates people from their community. Residents can use their waiver funding to live, work or recreate on a farmstead, but need to prove to the government that this is their preferred choice and are not being forcefully segregated or isolated against their will.

Have you or someone you love been shamed by sharing that you want to live or now live on a farmstead? Has your state told you that farmsteads are restricted? If so, let us know!

I am trying to learn more about this.  I having been meeting with a group of parents and we are trying to learn how to create something like this for our children when they become adults. So are you saying that one can design all inclusive farmstead type setting like this as long as one can prove residents are given ample opportunities to interact with the  outside of the farmstead?

Desiree Kameka
    Keymaster

Absolutely! It is important to understand the regulations. Learn more at the Coalition for Community Choice: http://coalitionforcommunitychoice.org/

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.