Housing Vouchers

Home Forums Exploring Housing Options Housing Vouchers

This topic contains 1 reply, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  Desiree Kameka 3 years ago.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Posts
  • #10702
    Facebook Profile photo
    Adrienne McBride
    Participant

    What is a housing voucher, and how can I get one?

    #10708

    Desiree Kameka
    Keymaster

    A Housing Choice Voucher is a permanent rental subsidy, or government help to pay rent. The program was developed for individuals who are very low income and could not afford rent otherwise. Most individuals with  intellectual / developmental disability will qualify if they are not working full time or rely on income from SSI / SSDI.

    This voucher allows the individual to pay 30% of their total income to rent, and the government pays the remaining 70%. For example, if a person’s total income from SSI/SSDI/earned at a job is $700 a month, and they find what their local authority considers an affordable apartment for $1000 a month, they will need to pay $210 for rent and the government will pay the rest ($790).

    This assistance is very hard to access in many places. There are some areas that have waitlists, and others that do not. Sometimes the waitlist or lottery for these vouchers are open just a few days a year. Even if you are not ready to move out this year, it is a good idea to try and get on a waitlist as soon as possible as it can take many years to access a voucher.

    To apply for this assistance, you will need to contact your local Public Housing Authority (PHA): http://portal.hud.gov/hudportal/HUD?src=/program_offices/public_indian_housing/pha/contacts

    Housing Choice Vouchers are one form of accessing affordable housing, your local PHA can give you information on other options as well! Good luck.

     

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.