Housing Troubles

Home Forums Exploring Housing Options Housing Troubles

Tagged: 

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    KollierWallace
    Participant

Over the past two years my family has struggled to find a place to live. We’re a large family of seven, myself and my littlest brother both having Autism. Mine isn’t as bad as my brothers, but it has made some things more difficult than they should be. We’ve been looking for a permanent home around Southern- Central Illinois with little to no avail due to us all living off of little to no money (even before the whole Coronavirus thing went down). My mom is insistent on living here, but I worry that there’s not any options. I’ve considered moving, but I can’t find any consistent work with enough pay to where I could even qualify for rent anywhere, plus I’ve got no credit score, so no ability to get a mortgage. The biggest problem is that I honestly don’t know if  I should leave or not. I don’t know if I’m ready to live on my own: I honestly don’t know if I’m mature enough to handle it, and I don’t know if my family would be able to hold themselves together without the little financial support I am capable of bringing in, since we all help pay rent in the house we’re in right now (and will most likely be kicked out of soon). I’m at a major crossroads here and I don’t know what to do…

Christina Wandry
    Keymaster

I am so sorry to hear about your difficult situation. I will try to offer a few resources to try at this time:

1. Your local Center for Independent Living is staffed by others with disabilities who can connect you with the immediate help available.
    2. Look for project-based affordable housing in your area or at least get on a waiting list for a housing voucher from your Public Housing Authority (PHA). This website will give you a list of project-based affordable housing units AND tell you who your PHA is and if the waitlist is open.
    3. If in a pinch, see if any transitional housing may be available near you.
    4. The Autism Society offers a helpline to get help over the phone by calling 800-3AUTISM (800-328-8476).

Hope you find some options for your family soon.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.